Re: [IP] Atheletes On The Pump

> << I told them this was unacceptable and supposedly they are trying to fit
> her
>  in earlier.  I'm so frustrated.  However, we are playing around with her
>  insulin dosage.  Adjusting it to the #CHO she will actually eat.  If I
> follow
>  the 350 scale, she's 8:1, but we're forcing her to eat.
>  I've used 15:1 with good success.  She's using regular, not humalog so it's
>  not the greatest way to go, but it's working.  They got really mad at me and
>  said not to pay any attention to the people on the mailing list.  Only them.
>  Personally I'd rather talk to people who live day-to-day with DM, not the
>  Dr.s.   >>
> Sounds to me like you need better doctors.  Are there any others in your
> area?  If not, then you need to take charge of your daughters needs.  Read
> all you can, make adjustments yourself, tell the Doctors what you want or
> what you are going to do.  Once you have a take charge attitude, do it, and
> show your decisions are correct they will respect your decisions.  It may
> take time, but if you have no other choice, this must be done.  If there are
> other endos in your area, interview them as well as some parents of patients
> in their practice before switching.  You pay their salary, they should listen
> to your needs.

Keep good records. A pattern will develop after bolus that will either
show lows or highs on an overall basis. If you are sure of the CHO
content and the bolus size. After throwing out the unsure/high/low
readings, the average will tell you the error in the carb insulin ratio.
Fine tuning this over time will improve the ratio until it is right. When
you get close, try adjusting the ratio in 0.5 steps i.e. from say 11 to
11.5 and so on.... until it looks/feels just right. This will take a
while and may need to change from time to time as she enters growth
spurts and gets older.