Subject: [IP] HELP! can't figure the basal rate

Hi Linda,
The key on changing basal rates is to go slow and check often - which you're
doing.  I know that my daughter's sugar rises about 25 mg/dl for every 0.2
units of insulin - so if she was going up 100 points between lunch and
supper, I would figure that she needed about .8 units more insulin spread
over 4 hours - or .2 units/hr additional.  However, I would not do it all at
once - I would start with 0.1 units/hr over that time, then check again.
And since she's dropping at least 100 points during the night, I would
definitely lower the basals by 0.2 units/hr from MN to 3 am.

The wide range in basal rates, from 0.2 to 0.7 units/hr,  struck me - my 10
year old daughter Jenna's just don't change that much.  I know YMMV, but I'm
wondering how you and your endo came up with such a wide range from the
start (since you've only been pumping 12 days).  Jenna is on 0.2 units/hr
from MN to 3 am, then 0.4 units/hr for the rest of the day.

Good luck.  Reread the how-to section of IP on basal rates, and that chapter
in Pumping Insulin.  And write to the list often!

Nancy Morgan, mom of Jenna, 10 years old and pumping 11 months now.

<<Just when we thought we were getting a handle on our
10 year old daughter's basal rates, (pumping 12 days)
our endo goes on vacation and we are at a lose.
. I welcome
any suggestion from someone who is real experienced
with the pump and children. It is tuff being a "Newbie."
Linda M.>>