Re: [IP] Atheletes On The Pump

In a message dated 7/10/99 3:24:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I told them this was unacceptable and supposedly they are trying to fit
 in earlier.  I'm so frustrated.  However, we are playing around with her
 insulin dosage.  Adjusting it to the #CHO she will actually eat.  If I
 the 350 scale, she's 8:1, but we're forcing her to eat.
 I've used 15:1 with good success.  She's using regular, not humalog so it's
 not the greatest way to go, but it's working.  They got really mad at me and
 said not to pay any attention to the people on the mailing list.  Only them.
 Personally I'd rather talk to people who live day-to-day with DM, not the
 Dr.s.   >>

Sounds to me like you need better doctors.  Are there any others in your
area?  If not, then you need to take charge of your daughters needs.  Read
all you can, make adjustments yourself, tell the Doctors what you want or
what you are going to do.  Once you have a take charge attitude, do it, and
show your decisions are correct they will respect your decisions.  It may
take time, but if you have no other choice, this must be done.  If there are
other endos in your area, interview them as well as some parents of patients
in their practice before switching.  You pay their salary, they should listen
to your needs.