Re: [IP] Transition to Insulin

Hey Steve, with your life style its definitely a plus. I orginally got a
pump because I use to work shift. The pump will allow more flexialblity in
more meal times and alot more control during those hectic moments. If your
under stress nothing helps.
The transition period is just that. Don't expect good control right off the
bat. It's a life style change and a physical change both that takes some
time, but it's well worth it. You need to remember to relax during those
times when it's not working. It will come around it will just take some
Just remember you've got to check your blood sugars often. That's the only
way to know if your doing the right thing. I check 5 to 7 times a day and
I've been doing pumps for over 13 yrs. The pump will refine your
feelings(physical). Your body will get real sensitive to major changes in
your bs. And definitely let you when you are low.
If your doctor is familiar with insulin pumps he'll probaly welcome you to
go on the pump. Just be sure your doctor knows the pump. A regular GP knows
about diabetes, but an endo treats diabetes. Most endos should be familiar
with the pump, if there not(and there are some who are not) then find one
who is.
Insurance is a big open space. I don't know what to tell you there. All I
can say is find somebody who does know and ask for help. The insurance
industry is a scary thing to me. That's why my lawyer is a good friend also.
He's jerked a knot in my insurances tail once already.
Hope I helped you. I'm hear if you have any more questions.
Catch ya later