Re: [IP] publicity not always good

----- Original Message -----
From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Friday, July 09, 1999 2:52 PM> > Yes I am negative...I still won't
trade my pump for syringes until they pry
> it from my cold dead fingers.   I am glad that diabetes is finally worming
> its way out from the closet and into the public...though sensationalized
> headlines in the Inquirer like MARY TYLER MOORE UNDERGOES VITAL
SURGERY...to
> simply report she had a vitrectomy, is not what I want, nor what the
disease
> needs!!!  While it ended with excellent details and factual information,
(I
> read it standing in line - her doctor is MY doctor - Dr. Fisher), it was
the
> sensationalization that GRABBED the reader....OH MY GOD POOR MTM!!!
DIABETES
> IS JUST RAVAGING HER!!!  The the first 4 paragraphs were just oh woe to
> MTM...can't leave her apartment...how she has been unable to contorl the
> disease that is ruining her life...This same person is gonna read "Taking
> insulin no longer means syringes and pain for diabetics" in the WEEKEND
and
> think WOW IT HAS BEEN CURED - THANK GOD FOR MARY AND NOW I CAN SERVE CAKE
> TONIGHT AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IF DORIS IS GONNA COMPLAIN ABOUT ME NOT HAVING
> FRESH FRUIT !!I
>
> So just what DID I want?  well I wouldn't have minded an additional
paragraph
> about how diabetes is still an incurable disease that affects X million
> people in the US, with X million of them Type I and dependent on insulin.
> would like to have it say that insulin is NOT a cure, but with proper
funding
> and support, one might be available someday...
>
> blah blah blah blah
>
> Sara
> Sara, it might have provided  a more  balanced picture of diabetes itself
(and the way the progression of complications can  be affected by the
INDIVIDUAL) if the  Enquirerer  had included some of MTM's history with the
disease.  I watched A+ E's Biography of her 2 weeks ago, in which  she
informed the audience that she was  in  denial  for a long time,  would eat
boxes of powdered sugar donuts at a time (sneaking them in her car), didn't
test, and didn't listed to  her  doctor.  Oh, and then after the Dick Van
Dyke Show ended,  she became an  alcoholic.  Goodness gracious, do you think
THAT could have anything to  do  with  her  eye problems?  I mean, obviously
diabetes itself contributes, but all  of our actions, good or bad,
contribute to the way things turn out, right?
     I think that the  impression the general public gets about diabetes is
that it IS a "ravaging disease,"  mostly because that's how it's advertised
in the hopes of raising money -- who's going to  give their hard earned
dollars to  find a cure for something on par with, say, ingrown  toenails?
The worse it sounds, the  more pity it raises, and therefore more dollars.
Sad but true.