Re: [[IP] Denise, and her basal rate change]

Sherry Webb Nolan <email @ redacted> wrote:
> She reduced my midnight - 6 am,to .5, and the rest of the day I'm at .3!
>So that reduces my total basal amount by about 1.2 units in 24 hours. I sure

<Call me wrong everyone if I am>.
If I read your message correctly, your basal rates were changed to help
avoid your lows.  To check basal rates you are supposed to fast and if
your blood sugars are stable then they are set correctly. This is
probably
why they had you fast for the appointment. So why did
you use a temporary basal rate when you fasted for that appointment?  I
would think this is incorrect.  The temp basal you set sounds like it
was
the correct amount for you.  If your normal one is twice as much it
sounds
like you are still on too much insulin.  If you are normally eating
during
this time, you should be bolusing for it and not using your basal rates
to cover it."
used the temp basal, more out of fear of going hypo! I knew that my basals
needed adjustments made because of the increased incidence of hypos lately. My
total insulin for the day now is, 15.9 units, without any corrections for
highs. Usually 1 unit will drop me about 100 pts. I still don't know if the
new basals are correct as I am sick with an upper respiratory infection. I
have not been able to eat hardly at all and mostly just laying around. But
considering all, my BS are looking fairly well except one high at 11 pm.
Thanks for your input! Denise