[IP] publicity not always good

I read the article that will be in this weekend's WEEKEND and, while I think
it is great to "get the word out" about the pump," I am also concerned about
some of the negative impact this article will have on some readers. For
example, the article states:

> Insulin pumps lead a parade of pain-free tools....Taking insulin no longer
> means syringes and pain for more and more diabetics

Nowhere does it mention sticking a 2 inch needle into your flesh to insert
the device, nor does it mention the 6-10 finger pokes a day...which in my
opinion are not ALWAYS pain free...This first paragraph, the first thing
people read, makes it sound like we have nothing else to worry about or,
should I say, COMPLAIN about!!  If it doesn't hurt, why is Diabetes so bad -
let's focus our money and energy on more PAINFUL diseases like _____ and
______ (fill in the blank with your favorite painful illness du jour)

The article states:
>  continuous supply of insulin 24 hours a day to keep blood sugar
> in the desired range and to prevent complications such as blindness,
> heart and kidney failure and limb amputation.

Makes it sound like the magic pump is the miracle cure we have all been
demanding more money in Congress for all these years!!  The pump does NOT
(and I quote)  "prevent complications such as blindness etc...."  It is
diligence on our parts, a caring supportive, educated doctor, fair and
reasonable health insurance and a butt load of LUCK that keeps some people
complication free, while others go through the hell of retinopathy, the
purgatory of gastroparesis and the horror of renal failure.  sure...maybe for
those people who are diagnosed in THIS day and age instead of 20 or 10 or
even 5 years ago, and put on pumps immediately, and start from day ONE to
test their blood 7 times a day, the pump can be seen as able to (and I quote)
"prevent complication."  but the pump is only a machine - it will not "make"
you compliant.  It will not autonomously provide you with good numbers...it
can and DOES malfunction and it relies SOLELY on human intervention to
operate at all

> Unfortunately, only about 5% of insulin takers are on the pump.

Does it mention that this is due in part to uneducated medical professionals
and heel- dragging insurance companies and the fact that our government is
more concerned with studying AIDS in other countries than in finding a cure
for diabetes?  No...me, being the commie, b***h pessimist I am, thinks
(invoke redneck accent please)..."hale, verne...wut the hales wrong with all
them folks with diabetUS - wah don't they go get theyselves wunna them thair
insulin pumps and quit their grippin' and askin' me fer donations?"

> It is especially useful ..... for women who want to get pregnant or
> lose weight.

So....once again the media is implying that only women want, and need, to
lose weight, is that it?  heh heh - i am SUCH a feminist aren't I??

> The only negative: having something attached to you all the time.

No - the only negative is having to look at every piece of food I put in my
mouth in order to do a math calculation using either 13 or 17, which is not
math I can do in my head (my ratios are 1 to 13 during PMS week and 1 to 17
normally).  No the only negative is having to hold off my workout an hour to
get my bg up to a good level to start working out...and of course by then the
gym is closed   No, the only negative is having to wake up at 6am on a
Saturday to correct for a high that was caused by ripping my set out when I
rolled over too vigorously during the night...no the only negative is having
to look at every piece of clothing I buy and wondering...where am I gonna
hang my pump...no the only negative is having to convince my insurance
company that I really DO test my blood sugar 10 times a day and they really
ought to pay for it...I could go on about the ONLY negative...but you all
probably get my point.

Yes I am negative...I still won't trade my pump for syringes until they pry
it from my cold dead fingers.   I am glad that diabetes is finally worming
its way out from the closet and into the public...though sensationalized
headlines in the Inquirer like MARY TYLER MOORE UNDERGOES VITAL SURGERY...to
simply report she had a vitrectomy, is not what I want, nor what the disease
needs!!!  While it ended with excellent details and factual information, (I
read it standing in line - her doctor is MY doctor - Dr. Fisher), it was the
sensationalization that GRABBED the reader....OH MY GOD POOR MTM!!!  DIABETES
IS JUST RAVAGING HER!!!  The the first 4 paragraphs were just oh woe to
MTM...can't leave her apartment...how she has been unable to contorl the
disease that is ruining her life...This same person is gonna read "Taking
insulin no longer means syringes and pain for diabetics" in the WEEKEND and

So just what DID I want?  well I wouldn't have minded an additional paragraph
about how diabetes is still an incurable disease that affects X million
people in the US, with X million of them Type I and dependent on insulin.  I
would like to have it say that insulin is NOT a cure, but with proper funding
and support, one might be available someday...

blah blah blah blah