[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[IP] (Fwd) JDF Washington Report No. 15
JDF Washington Report
Volume II, No 15
July 8, 1999
JDF LEGISLATIVE ALERT
URGENT ACTION NEEDED!
The House and Senate Labor, HHS, Education Subcommittees are
scheduled next week to mark up (finalize and send out of
subcommittee) bills that fund the National Institutes of Health
(NIH). JDF needs your help quickly in calling your Member of
Congress and Senator to urge increased funding for diabetes
research through the National Institutes of Health. Some tips and
· Call the Capitol Hill Switchboard Operator and ask for your
Member of Congress’ office. The switchboard number is 202-224-
3121. If you don’t know your Congressional Representative or
Senators, go to http://www.house.gov/writerep/ (for House
Members) or http://www.senate.gov/senators/ (for Senate
Members) and the sites will ask you to input your zip code.
Although not all Members of Congress serve on these
subcommittees, they will all eventually vote on this legislation.
· Ask to speak to the legislative aide who handles health
research issues. If you get voicemail, leave your name, town, and
brief message about increasing funding for diabetes research. You
can either leave your number or the JDF Government Relations
number (202-371-9746) if the staff person has questions.
· If you do speak to the staff person, please email a summary
of your conversation to the advocate’s list and let us know with
whom you spoke.
· TELL YOUR PERSONAL STORY! The easiest part of this
phone call will be telling the staff person WHY you want to find a
cure for diabetes and how federal funding for diabetes research will
help this effort. But, be BRIEF!
· Urge your Member to join JDF in requesting federal funding for
diabetes research at $827 million (currently, the government funds
$430 million) as recommended by the Congressionally mandated
Diabetes Research Working Group, a panel of experts who studied
scientific opportunity and developed recommendations for diabetes
research at the NIH.
· Urge your Representatives and Senators to support the
bipartisan effort to DOUBLE the NIH budget over five years. This
movement has tremendous support in both houses of Congress.
Remind them that an investment in biomedical research and
diabetes research saves lives and saves money.
· You may want to mention that JDF recently completed a very
successful first-ever JDF Children’s Congress. Hopefully your
elected official had the opportunity to meet with the delegate from
· Thank the staff person for his/her time and ask for the
Member’s commitment to find a cure for diabetes through the
support of federally funded research.
Some statistics you may want to include during your discussion:
· There are over 16 million Americans with diabetes. That is
approximately 37,000 voters who have diabetes in EACH
· Every forty seconds, a new case of diabetes is diagnosed.
· The World Health Organization estimates that there are
approximately 135 million people with diabetes worldwide; however,
this number will rise to 300 million by the year 2025.
· Almost 6% of the world’s population have diabetes. The
Centers for Diseases Control (CDC) has named diabetes an
· The life expectancy of people with diabetes averages 15
years less than that of people without diabetes.
· Every three minutes, someone dies from diabetes.
· Diabetes is the leading cause of new blindness in adults, end-
stage renal (kidney) disease, and non-traumatic amputations.
People with diabetes are at greater risk for heart disease, stroke
and nerve damage.
· America spends over $98 billion to care for people with
· The average lifetime cost of diabetes care if diagnosed as a
young child is calculated at $600,000 in today’s dollars.
Because this legislation is moving very quickly, we are requesting
that you call the appropriate offices today! However, if you wish to
write to your Member of Congress, please see the Congressional
The Honorable _________
Washington, DC 20510
Dear Senator ______:
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
The Honorable __________
US House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515
Dear Representative _______:
202-224-3121 Capitol Hill Switchboard
Please contact JDF with any questions, comments and responses
you may receive from your Member of Congress. PLEASE CALL
NOW before the decisions are made about research funding!
How To Join This List:
Send An Email TO: email @ redacted
Please direct any problems TO: email @ redacted
Juvenile Diabetes Foundation
1400 I Street, NW, Suite 530
Washington, D.C. 20005
email @ redacted
Insulin Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/
for mail subscription assistance, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org