Re: [IP] dawn phenomenon

At 08:29 AM 7/7/1999  Julie Britt wrote:
>I have experienced a numer of really high bg's in the morning, between 8am
>and 11am, and I'm trying to figure out why.  Sometimes I have no snack at
>all before bed, sometimes I do and bolus for it.  I occasionally test
>around 1am out of curiosity, which is a couple hous after I snack, but the
>bg's are almost always normal.  I am wondering what exactly a d.p. is, and
>could this be my problem?  Any suggestions on how I could find out what is
>causing this?  Should I do a temporary basal rate at night?

I have this too... not only the dawn phenomenon, but also insulin
resistance in the morning. This is not too uncommon actually. To
compensate, I have a higher basal rate after 2:30am. The basal is lowered a
bit at 6am, but doesn't really go down until 11am. This covers both
situations. My lowest basal rate is actually between 11am and 6pm.