[IP] dawn phenomenon

I have experienced a numer of really high bg's in the morning, between 8am and 11am, and I'm trying to figure out why.  Sometimes I have no snack at all before bed, sometimes I do and bolus for it.  I occasionally test around 1am out of curiosity, which is a couple hous after I snack, but the bg's are almost always normal.  I am wondering what exactly a d.p. is, and could this be my problem?  Any suggestions on how I could find out what is causing this?  Should I do a temporary basal rate at night?