Re: [IP] Diabetes Prevention Trial - Type 1 Results

Maybe an updated address:

and to answer someone else's question on how long a period will a
person be free from IDDM if they test positive, the following are
passages from this site:

IDDM is caused by a defect in an individual's immune system
which triggers the body to destroy its own insulin producing cells.
Insulin is a hormone that regulates how the body uses and stores
food for energy and is necessary to sustain life. It is made in the
pancreas by a special cell called the islet, or beta, cell. Lack of
insulin causes high blood sugars which may result in symptoms
such as weight loss, thirst, and increased urination. The onset of
these symptoms is often abrupt. However the initial trigger leading
to beta cell loss occurs years earlier. Beta cell destruction is a
gradual process of slow deterioration. Eventually diabetes
develops. but only after most of the beta cells have been destroyed.
Today there are blood tests which help us predict just who will
develop IDDM and when:

Islet Cell Antibodies (ICA): This is a blood test that measures the
levels of antibodies against islet cells long before the onset of
IDDM. Close relatives of a person with IDDM who test positive for
ICAs are much more likely to develop IDDM than are relatives who
test negative. The DPT-l will use this as a screening test to
determine if you are eligible for further testing.

Insulin Auto-antibodies (IAA): This is a blood test that measures
antibodies produced by the body against its own insulin. When
associated with ICA, these signify an increased risk of developing

First-Phase Insulin Release (FPIR): This is a more sophisticated
blood test performed by an intravenous glucose tolerance test
(IVGTT). This test measures the degree of beta cell damage that
has already occurred.

Taken together, information from these three tests allows
researchers to estimate a person's relative risk of developing IDDM
within the next five years.(NOTE: All blood tests are free to you.)