Re: [IP] Stomach really the only site?

   You're certain to get lots of responses to this inquiry. First question
about sites: My 16 yr old daughter has been using the "love handle" region of
her back hip pretty much exclusively for more than 2 years now. She was
motivated by not wanting her stomach to show in a bikini!!....Works fine for
her - her am bg today was 87!
   Secondly, the "other" infusion set is called a Silhouette aka Comfort aka
Tender - all the same. Melissa prefers it unequivocally to the Sofset. It
disconnects right at the site, instead of having that little "tail" dangling.
Also, because she's thin, the "straight in" insertion required by the Sofset
prompted A LOT of "no delivery" alarms, probably provoked by the catheter
bumping up against muscle??? Since she switched to the Silhouettes, she's had
no NO Delivery alarms, no sets become dislodged and no infections.
   Thirdly, the Minimed is not waterproof, but Melissa simply disconnects for
swimming, for sports and for showering. Ideally, she needs to re-hook within
an hour or 90 minutes and give herself the missed basal.  When she stubbornly
DIDN'T do this during field hockey season, she suffered the ill effects of
being in the 300s for HOURS later until her bg finally dropped. With maturity
has come the realization that sometimes Mom actually DOES know what she's
talking about (LOL) & this has ceased to be an issue. When I mentioned to her
the other day that if she had a Disetronic she wouldn't have to disconnect to
go into the pool & she looked at me as if I had grown another head & said
"why would I want to do that???"....
    The often-repeated "mantra" of this group seems to be YMMV ( your mileage
may vary) so what works beautifully for one pumper may be a complete failure
for another.  What I love about this group though is that I can glean lots &
lots of helpful hints, advice, information, etc for future reference.

Regards, Renee (Melissa's mom )