[IP] Stomach really the only site?

Hi everyone!  I recently submitted my profile and thought I'd jump in with some of my questions.  My main concern is using my stomach as the site for the catheter.  When I was on a terbutaline pump during pregnancy I used my thigh for obvious reasons.  It was not very convenient so I'm not really interested in using it as a site.  I have in mind the hip area.  My CDE is not willing to discuss it, insisting the stomach is the only acceptable site.  I know the stomach absorbs insulin better than other sites but find it hard to believe I can't get decent control using some other site.  I find that injections in my stomach are more painful than other areas and it tends to bleed more.  I am also just plain grossed out by using it unless I absolutely have to.  I don't have a lot of fat there and she said I would need to use the catheter that goes in sideways.  Sorry don't know what it's called!
She also recommends the Mini Med.  How do you shower with the thing if you can't take it in with you.  When I was pregnant I had to put the thing in a plastic bag and seal it and then wrap saran wrap around the site to keep it from getting wet.  It didn't work and I'm still not sure why I had to do it.  Is Disetronic truly waterproof and do any of you recommend it for that reason.  Seems that would be the only reason to prefer it over MM.
Any advice is appreciated!
Donna Triolo-Clarke