Subject: [IP] Pumping at School

Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:21:26 EDT
From: email @ redacted

Hi Everybody,
Ok, I know you're all thinking, "School's out, why talk about
it?" LOL!  Well, I'm busy filling out 504 forms and I've got some questions
for all of you veteran parents of pumpers.

1.  If your child experiences a "No Delivery" alarm and it is determined
the infusion set needs to be changed, what do you do?  Nurse, you or the
child (with supervision by the nurse of course)?

Jenna has a series of steps that we worked through on the phone (is the pump
on run, does it have insulin, is the needle still in your skin, does it look
funny, does it hurt, is the tube kinked, disconnect and do a high bolus-
does insulin come out). If none of that solves the problem, I go up to
school and change the site.  I know how hard it was for me to get it at just
the right depth at first, I can't imagine an unmotivated school nurse being
able to handle this.  Jenna also keeps a tube of EMLA with her, so I have
her put on some EMLA while I free myself up to get there.  She learned,
right about her 10th birthday, how to put in her own infusion set.  So maybe
he'll do fine at learning this summer.   You may also want to have him keep
a stock of easy to use infusion sets, like the rapids, and you can always
put in a new Tender/ Sil later (they're definitely harder to get in for a

2.  Can anybody think of any other issues that might come up with the pump,
which might need to be outlined or addressed on a 504?

Make sure he (or the teacher) has a spare set of batteries.  Also, keep a
extra bottle of R (or H) and a few syringes at school.   If you REALLY can't
get there, at least you'll know he's not going into DKA if he gets a shot.
Otherwise, Jenna had a very good, and uneventful, year in the 4th grade last
year with the pump.  And the other kids loved it - it was better than

Our 504 issues revolved around things that weren't different whether you're
on a pump or MDI - snacks before PE, testing whenever necessary, extra time
for timed tests if she became hypo- or hyperglycemic during the course of
the test.  I also added a clause that if she was unable to do homework
because of hypo or hyperglycemia at home, that it wouldn't count against
her.  We didn't have to invoke that clause, but there are some nights that
her sugar is high, her concentration is terrible, and those social studies
questions just aren't worth the hassle.

Nancy Morgan, mom of Jenna, age 10, pumping since 9/98