Re: [IP] Bolusing to fill Cannula

Al & Mary Rebholz wrote:
> So, if I'm understanding things correctly, to fill the cannula requires
> a .5-1.0 bolus.  Does one need to eat to cover this bolus accordingly? I
> realize people are eating and bolusing after a set change as a safety
> measure, but this bolus is independent of the bolus needed to fill the
> cannula, correct?

When you change your set after you have pulled out your introducer needle you
will need to give a small bolus (.5 - 1.0 units depending on what set you use.)
This amount is just to fill your cannula, you do not have to eat for it.

 Also, if one disconnects to take a shower leaving the
> pump in RUN, and you prime to make sure insulin is still coming out of
> the tubing, do you need to bolus to fill the cannula, or should it
> already be filled assuming it was before your shower?

If you left the pump running and have primed to see that insulin is coming out
of the needle just reconnect, no bolus is needed (depending on how long your
shower was).  If you suspend your pump while showering (or otherwise) before
reconnecting prime enough to see insulin coming out of the needle and then
reconnect.  I usually test my bg then, if I am high then I bolus if not I do
not.  This is a YMMV thing.