Re: [IP] Pumping at School

> 1.  If your child experiences a "No Delivery" alarm and it is
> determined that the infusion set needs to be changed, what do you
> do?  My son is 9 and quite possibly will learn to change his own
> over the summer, but if he doesn't, I want the nurse to do it.  He
> was only on the pump for the last two months of school so we only
> had one alarm for that and I went up and changed his set.  It was
> clogged.  Now I don't expect this to be something that happens all
> of the time, but when it does, how do all of you handle it?  Nurse,
> you or the child (with supervision by the nurse of course)?

You probably don't want an un-trained or at least un-practiced person
changing a set for you son. This could be quite traumatic. he needs
to learn to give himself an injection if necessary and he should have
one or more syringes with him for this purpose. Teach him how to draw
insulin out of the leur lock on the big syringe on his pump. He will
need the assistance of an adult to get it apart, but he should be
able to draw insulin and do an injection to cover his needs for 2
hours at a time. This procedure would be much easier to teach the
staff than trying to insert a set.

Michael