Re: [IP] oral surgery and the pump

In a message dated 7/1/99 3:54:07 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My 17 year old son has diabetes and uses an insulin pump.  On July 29, he
 having his impacted wisdom teeth removed.  Eric, or course, has to go in
 fasting--nothing ot eat or drink after midnight.  Has anyone experienced
 surgery while using an insulin pump?  Any pointers? >>

Hi Betsy

The pump is the most wonderful, marvelous thing in the world to have when
you're not going to eat! My Elvis keeps me within about 20 points of 100 all
day long if I don't eat. I had surgery on my foot June 1 (non-DM-related --
it's healing fine, although still a bit sore). I fasted after midnight, wore
Elvis throughout, and went into surgery at 118 and out at 114.

I did call my pump trainer and ask her about whether I needed to change
anything. She said I could cut my basal rate back 20 percent beginning at
midnight or not, as I chose. As my basal rate is set pretty good, I chose not
to change it.

Be prepared to answer lots of questions about the pump and how it works. I
believe my anesthesiologist was a little nervous about having a patient with
insulin going into her through surgery, but I explained how the pump delivers
small amounts of insulin all the time -- just like her body does -- and she
seemed to accept that.

The only problems I had were one I didn't know about until afterwards -- (1)
one of the people moving me back onto the gurney after surgery didn't know I
was wearing a pump and Elvis almost hit the floor; and (2) I had trouble
talking the nurse into letting me have a doughnut with my coffee after
surgery because I was had diabetes. I did talk her into it and and understand
they now ask my podiatrist how his "diabetic with the doughnuts" is doing. (I
took doughnuts for everyone.)

For the surgery, I put Elvis in a clip-n-go and clipped him to my gown.
Apparently, he came unhooked during surgery, hence the "dropsy" effect.

And, although you didn't ask, I remember from my oral surgery experiences
from years ago that some good things to eat are boiled eggs with lots of
butter, mashed potatoes, those cans of things you can drink instead of eating
(brand names escape me at the moment) and, of course -- Milkshakes!!!