Re: [IP] MM and D differences was Re:Technical Error Messages

At 11:32 PM 7/1/1999  Richard Aleksander wrote:
 >That time difference may or may not be significant in automatic operation.
 >But it would be a long time to be manually holding my tubing straight out to
 >prevent an occlusion.  Or tapping on my infusion set.  That was what I was
 >getting at.

But since nobody really has to hold the tubing to bolus on a properly
functioning pump, this is a non-issue. I think you have leaped to the wrong
conclusion. The pump works on automatic pilot all the time.

 >And in a situation where the user was experiencing line or site occlusions,
 >might it not take longer to deliver the same infusion?
 >That others have occlusion problems bothers me.  Do you think someone
 >selecting a pump ought not to have this information?

The only time that people have occlusions is if they use the wrong type of
insulin and/or use ancient tubing. Using any buffered insulin and using any
of the current tubing materials work without any problem. Since my
Silhouette and your Tender are identical, there should be no greater rate
of occlusion for the MM than for the Disetronic.

 >Please.  My objection is to having to manually inject.  Have you had to
 >revert to injections at all since using your pump?  If not, then I will
 >stand corrected.

I don't think that for the less than 24 hours that you would need to revert
to injections that you'd need to use any long acting insulin. I keep a
bottle of Regular around and if I ever need to use injections, I'd use R to
keep myself stable until the replacement pump arrived. Not a big deal.
However, we've had people here on the list who have gone for many years
without a single breakdown. It's hardly a common occurrence.

 >Many pumpers write that they have and consider it normal and no big thing,
 >and recommend carrying Regular insulin and syringes in case of emergency.

It's not a big deal, and unless Disetronic users carry the spare pump with
them everywhere, they will probably would need to carry some R and needles

 >OK, Regular is not exactly Lente.  Compared to Humalog, Regular is a long
 >acting insulin.  In recent posts, pumpers have suggested other pumpers
 >consider using Regular for basals, because of it's longer-acting character,
 >when conditions force the user off the pump.

Since a large number of users here still use Velosulin (which is a buffered
equivalent of Regular), I don't consider Regular to be something out of
bounds for pump users. It certainly is not considered a long-acting insulin
like Lente or NPH. And Humalog is not that much quicker than Regular for
everyone. For me Humalog doesn't peak for at least 3 hours... a bit faster
than R but not a major difference.

 >I'm opinionated.  I'm sorry I perhaps came across as pedantic.

Please remember that being diabetic is not a science, but an art. There are
too many variables and differences to decide that there is only one way of
doing anything with this disease. Each person is different and we all have
our own way of viewing the world. There are no rights and wrongs here, just
lots of shades of gray. We all have to make our own decisions based on our
personal wants and needs. What is a problem for you, is not necessarily a
problem for somebody else. I like Dodge trucks and other people swear by
their Fords or Chevrolets. Some people love Macs and I like my PC. I'm sure
you can come up with all sorts of scientific reasons why one is technically
better than the other... but, what I have works fine for me and I'm happy.