Re: [IP] MM and D differences was Re:Technical Error Messages

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 17:00:47 -0600
From: Mary Jean Renstrom <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] MM and D differences was Re:Technical Error Messages

>Richard wrote:
>>You say all that Minimed pumpers have to do in case of a kink is
>>out your tubing and hold it and / or shake it while bolusing.
>>That is a major inconvenience undecided shoppers should be aware of.
>>Holding your tubing while bolusing your MM can be a ten minute proposition
>>because the MM boluses .1 unit at a time or less than a unit per minute.
>>That's another distinction between the MM and the D, which delivers
>>boluses in less than 30 seconds.

>If you are going to make statements like this and claim they are fact, then
>you'd better make sure they ARE facts.  What you wrote about a MM taking
>more than one minute to bolus one unit is downright false.  I just tested
>it... it took exactly 35 seconds to bolus one unit with my MM507.

What I was getting at is that the MM takes significantly longer to deliver a
bolus than the D, and I added that it was significant if you were going to
have to hold the tubing straight for that period of time.

We now have more facts.  FYI, my D normally pumps a unit in 7 seconds, five
times faster.  My 6.5 Unit Humalog bolus will be delivered in 45 seconds
with a D, 225 seconds with a MM.  Three minutes longer.  Working normally.

That time difference may or may not be significant in automatic operation.
But it would be a long time to be manually holding my tubing straight out to
prevent an occlusion.  Or tapping on my infusion set.  That was what I was
getting at.

And in a situation where the user was experiencing line or site occlusions,
might it not take longer to deliver the same infusion?

That others have occlusion problems bothers me.  Do you think someone
selecting a pump ought not to have this information?

>>Because of the MM's engineering, users occasionally have to inject long
>>acting insulins with syringes.  (This D pumper has never returned to

>Whoa again!  I've been pumping 2 1/2 years and have never had to use any
>long acting insulin because of the engineering of my MM pump.

Please.  My objection is to having to manually inject.  Have you had to
revert to injections at all since using your pump?  If not, then I will
stand corrected.

Many pumpers write that they have and consider it normal and no big thing,
and recommend carrying Regular insulin and syringes in case of emergency.

Since pumping, I haven't had to inject any insulin whatever.  Like I wrote,
maybe I'm lucky.

I'd consider it to be a significant setback to have to return to injections.

In explanation of what I wrote about long acting insulin:

Lente is a typical insulin of injection to establish basal levels.  It's
very sloooooooooooow to act and remove from the system.

OK, Regular is not exactly Lente.  Compared to Humalog, Regular is a long
acting insulin.  In recent posts, pumpers have suggested other pumpers
consider using Regular for basals, because of it's longer-acting character,
when conditions force the user off the pump.

Once when I ran out of Humalog, I pumped Regular.  As a Humalog pumper, I
wouldn't want to go back to Regular.

>Sure, there are differences between the two pumps, but let's be careful on
>this list to make accurate statements, and not falsehoods which denigrate
>the other brand of pump.  Either pump is a good choice, they each have
>advantages and disadvantages.  Starting a pump war is totally

>Mary Jean Renstrom
>one of the IP list administrators

My letter was meant to point up the facts differentiating the pumps so the
undecided who are asking direct questions would have a clearer factual view
other than just that the pumps are approximately equal.

writing is 25 years ago when I worked for a newspaper and some radio and
television stations.

Since then I have graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in
Biology, having also sat through 2 years of chemistry, and a year each of
calculus and physics.

I'm opinionated.  I'm sorry I perhaps came across as pedantic.

Richard Aleksander