[IP] MM and D differences was Re:Technical Error Messages

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:30:08 -0700
Sam Skopp <email @ redacted> wrote,

Subject: Re: [IP] Technical Error Messages

At 12:59 PM 6/30/1999  Nancy apple wrote:
>>I am having second thoughts about purchasing the MM pump ever since a
>>pumper told me that he had experienced frequent "No Delivery Messages"
>>but does not have this problem with the Diestronic.  He also led me to
>>believe that MM could would be problematic since my daily insulin intake
>>is low (about 27 units).

>I've been on the MM 507 for just about 13 months and have only gotten a "no
>delivery" alarm maybe 2 times (except when I've run out of insulin). In
>both cases, it was a case of a crimped tubing... this could happen with any
>pump. I use the Silhouette and don't think there is an inherent problem
>with the MM and no delivery alarms.

MM pumpers are adapting to the equipment.  And you love your pumps.  I
accept that.

But the undecided who are trying to uncover differences between the pumps
should be aware what the differences are.

Disetronic's specs indicate pumping is at pressures 2-3x higher than

This is meant to be a major design factor in reducing incidence of kinkage /
flow stopping.

You accept that crimped tubing could happen with any pump.  If that's true,
then I'm just real lucky.

See, it's never happened with my Disetronic in 20 months of pumping and all
kinds of crimps approaching 180 degrees.  There's a 90 degree turn out of
the pump and under my belt.  It approaches 180 over my waistband and another
180 under my shirt to my infusion set.  At a minimum.

You say all that Minimed pumpers have to do in case of a kink is straighten
out your tubing and hold it and / or shake it while bolusing.

That is a major inconvenience undecided shoppers should be aware of.
Holding your tubing while bolusing your MM can be a ten minute proposition
because the MM boluses .1 unit at a time or less than a unit per minute.
That's another distinction between the MM and the D, which delivers complete
boluses in less than 30 seconds.

And you have to disconnect your MM around the water.  Or you have to use a
clamshell case and smear it with Vaseline.  (the D is fully waterproof
without additional bulk.)

Because of the MM's engineering, users occasionally have to inject long
acting insulins with syringes.  (This D pumper has never returned to

And occasionally do without your MM pump when it goes bad because you only
have one (D issues a spare as standard equipment).  But MM'll get you a
loaner within 24 hours, so you feel they give good service even as you
return to MDI.

All sacrifices that MM users accept willingly because they love their pumps
and don't have buyers' remorse.  Yeah, it's still better than regular MDI.

But why should a new pumper put up with all that if he doesn't have to?