Re:[IP]help with rebellion-Lori

>From: Sherry Webb Nolan <email @ redacted>
>I don't know what the comment was you were responding too,
>but the reply you made seemed pretty small minded to me.
><I disagree with the comment on camp.  The idea is still foreign to me
>I absolutely refused 25 years ago, and I still would. >
     I think it all depends on your personality.  Some people don't mind
being identified primarily as a diabetic (and I have to agree w/ Lori that
that's what "special" camps do, whether they're for diabetics, people
w/developmental disabilities or other "conditions"), but others of us do.
Obviously, some people enjoy being around folks who share the same concerns
and experiences as they do, but others just don't.  It feels very artificial
to me, but I am also someone who has a good support system of folks who can
empathize and help me out when I need it.  A whole week or two of pretty
much focusing on diabetes was just overkill for me (I went for two years and
hated every minute of it).  If someone is not in good control, that intense
focus could feel like some pretty severe criticism  which would not be
terribly motivating for a rebellious 16 year old, diabetic or otherwise.  We
all have different points of view.