Re: [IP] RE: Control

Leanne,

I didn't have such a good time of it the first month or so, but it was easier to
correct highs.  I had somewhat good control on MDI but not optimum.  Most of my
problems were Post Prandial or with my monthly cycle.  It took calling my doctor
every other day and actually adjusting it myself and telling him what I did.  I
started out with 1 unit an hour and ended up with 1.4 most of the time and 1.7
between 3 am - 8 am.  I also had to adjust my bolus I started out on the routine
15 grams of carb to 1 unit insulin and have gone to 5g/1u.  If I hadn't taken
the initiative I would have never gotten it straightened out.  I was totally
frustrated and wanted to throw the pump across the room, then I thought of
giving my shots in my stomach (dr wouldn't allow it in the leg) and decided no
way. I still have days where nothing seems to work and certain foods (potatoes)
are going to raise my bg regardless what I do.  I try to stay away from foods I
know will send my bg out of control.  I also have found that with certain foods
I have to bolus less.  It is all trial and error. You may be reacting
differently to the different types of insulin also.

Good Luck!
Donna