Re:[IP]help with rebellion-Lori

I don't know what the comment was you were responding too,
but the reply you made seemed pretty small minded to me.

<I disagree with the comment on camp.  The idea is still foreign to me
I absolutely refused 25 years ago, and I still would. >

Why did you refuse?  I started going to camp when I was 6 and it was the
best thing that ever happened to me, I went every year until I was
too old to go. And am still trying to find an "adult" camp <LOL>.
I got to go for two weeks and have a lot of fun.  It wasn't a camp
"defined" by D, in fact just the opposite.  The only reminders were
the testing/injection times, and maybe meal times.  But actually since
everyone was doing it you didn't feel like a swore thumb.  It was a
great way to actually "get-away" from D.   Since everyone was diabetic
I didn't feel constantly reminded of my bgs and worrying about them.
Mostly because everyone else would notice if something was wrong and
help me out.  Plus my parents got a much needed rest.

<I didn't have to
go in a group to go to the bathroom, and I don't need to be in a whole
group of people with the same disfunction. >

I didn't have to go to the bathroom in a group.  We did have a buddy
system, but so did my brothers at non-diabetic camp.  You couldn't go
anywhere "alone" but you only had to drag one other person and we didn't
share a stall.  As for not needing to be in a group of people with the
same disfunction, none of us "need" that.  I "wanted" it though.  I
don't wish D on anybody, but it is nice to be able to share problems,
stories, solutions, etc with a group of people who understand. I met
a lot of friends that I still keep in touch with.

I also attended a non-diabetic camp a few times and it was ok.  I didn't
make as close friendships as I did at the diabetic camp.  I was also
preoccupied with my bgs.  However, even regular camp is a great
for kids.  It lets them meet a bunch of people their own age, get away
from the parents for a while, and learn new exciting things.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Sorry you missed out on camp Lori,
-- Sherry