Re: [IP] High BGs after exercise

> I wonder if the
> irritation itself causes some sort of "anti body" or "defense" mechanism to
> kick in, perhaps "attacking" what the body senses as the source of the
> irritation - the Humalog,

Hmm.... it seems to be directly related to the exercise, don't know
if Humalog enhances the irritation or not, no clue.

> I'm way out in "what if" land here, but just wondering.
> >to recover if the irritation is slight but I know it creates a
> >problem for Lily so it probably does for others as well. Her bg's
> >don't go high with exercise, but she has experienced problems with
> >bolus for meals immediately and later, after exercise with the set
> >spot placed in an inappropriate place. Not using those areas cleared
> >up the problem entirely. It was not obvious what the difficulty was,
> >and we sorted it out by trial and error.
> 1)  Were these "inappropriate places" spots that Lily had used prior?
Nothing spectacular. She usually puts the set in the upper butt area
above or just on the top of the 'cheek'. If the set is above, no
problem. If it creeps down on to the cheek, all is OK until she does
some heavy duty workout (she plays competitive class 1 soccer). The
muscle moves a bunch at the top of your cheek/butt when you run.
After one of these, her bg's will be hard to keep down although a
high bs bolus will work after a while.... strange, the meal bolus
doesn't, then at night her bg's will creep up, change the set or make
sure the placement is a little higher and the problem does not
appear. This occurred numerous times before we hit on this solution,
it seems to work. BTW, she inserts the set with the same hand for
each side of her body, so the set points in on one side and out on
the other. This problem only occurs on one side (don't remember which
one) but because of the difficult reach around, she tends to put it
lower on that side.

> 2)  Could these spots be used successfully when Lily was not exercising
> (hence, not irritating the underlying tissue)?
Yes, see above