[IP] Blood Donation

Sorry you had a tougher time donating blood.  Whether they
will accept a diabetics blood is a local decision.  My local
blood bank will take mine without any problem (pump or
not).  Obviously, I have to answer yes to alot of their
questions: Have you ever taken a shot? ect ect.  I reached
my first gallon plateau 8 weeks ago at my last donation.

The funny side of this is that last trip, my wife and I
donated at the same time.  All the nurses at the blood
center know me, know I'm diabetic and have questioned me
about my pump.  Anyway, when my wife was asked whether she
had ever had sex with anyone who had taken a shot, she
normally just said, "No."  However, because of me being
there, they caught her oversight, and had to include the
written explanation at the bottom of the form.

Sadly, the overall amount of blood being donated is down in
many areas, so they are all too happy to take mine.

Does anyone know whether there has been a change in organ
donations?  I guess my pancrease isn't worth much, but there
likely are bits and pieces that might be of use to someone
when MY beer truck turns the corner.

<<<Oh Boy do I have an experience!!

I first called the Red Cross to do a Platlet donation.  They
said "of course a
diabetic can donate."  My husband and I decided to donate
together.  We got
there and they had to ask me what type of insulin and how
much I take.  I said
it varies because I use a pump.  That is were it got nasty.
They told me if I
was on injections I could donate but NOT if I use a pump.
When you call the
Red Cross be sure to ask if they will allow you to donate
with a pump.

I did a sneaky thing.  Besides wanting to donate platelets
for a friend who
needed them (he has cancer and was low in platlets) I would
be given extra
credit in my Health class at college for donating.  So, I
called another Red
Cross and made an appointment with them.  When they asked
the diabetes
questions again I didn't mention the pump and I did the
donation.  They did
come over while I was strapped to the chair and said they
have a policy
against letting diabetics on pumps donate.  I asked why
because it seems we
are more tightly controlled and have less incident with low
blood sugars.
They told me that we are more at risk for infection because
of the "needle"
being left in.

Good Luck,