From: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Bg rise in a.m....
Date: Tuesday, July 28, 1998 1:54 PM

    Since everyone keeps bringing up bagels... Noah's (the chain here =
which I
believe is Einstein's on the East Coast and I forgot what it is in New =
Mexico)
has a food value list I checked.  All the varieties have between 59-66 =
grams of
carb per bagel.  Most had 60 or 64.  A large # had 62.  Any chain store =
you go
to will have a list somewhere (though it is kind of embarrassing to ask to
look).  What used to be Brother's here and I think is now either NY Bagels
=
or
Boogie Woogie Bagel Boy also has bagels with very similar carb counts -- =
ie
everything on their list was between 60-64.    Lenders and other mass
supermarket bagels are much smaller than these kind of bakery bagels =
though.

Bob Burnett wrote:

> Tonya and Bonnie:
>
> A couple things to think of here:
>
> 1) Dawn phenomenon can happen whenever "your dawn" is. If you normally =
wake
> up at 11:00 a.m., your body is getting into gear and synchronizing =
itself
> regardless of where the big and little hands are on the clock. If you =
see
> the same patterns in your BG when testing through the night, use this =
info
> to help determine when your dawn rise normally starts and ends. If your
> sleep schedule is never the same, it's a little harder to figure the
> patterns out.
>
> 2)  For some folks, bagels fall into the same sort of category as pizza.
> There may be a delayed rise (sometimes significant) in your BGs sometime
> after you finish eating. I also notice a real difference in bagels,
> depending on the brand and type. I know Lender's has a number of =
different
> types. If I use the same insulin / carb ratio, I'll get different =
results
> from the different types of bagels. I've seen carb counts for bagels
> ranging anywhere from 30 grams of CHO per bagel to as high as 55 per =
bagel.
> For me, bagels have always been a little "chancy", but worth the gamble =
;-)

> Tonya: what is your pre lunch BG reading if you have the same number of
> carbs, same amount of insulin, but something different than the bagel? =
This

to the e-mail address: email @ redacted