Re: [IP] Problems with syringes

>      I recently experienced something that had never occurred before. I was
>      trying to bolus for my dinner last Friday evening and kept getting a
>      no delivery alarm. I disconnected and bolused to see if there was the
>      lubrication. I always lubricate by pulling the plunger back and forth
>      before drawing up my H/V...it was just a BAD syringe. Because I had
>      lost track of my boluses and was frustrated I ended up with a BG of
>      340 before bedtime.

I've been having a similar run of No Delivery problems this last week or
two. I've not had this trouble for ages. My immediate response now is to
disconnect at the QR and bolus 5 units, and often the alarm re-occurs.
If I disconnect at the syringe itself the alarm can still re-occur, so
it's the syringe or pump and not the tubing or cannula. At least this
saves an unnecessary set change. If I replace the syringe but keep
everything else the problem is solved. I typically re-use the syringe 3
or 4 times to save money, but now I'm replacing it every time. I've no
idea why the syringes should suddenly get temperamemtal when I've had no
trouble previously. Is it perhaps hot weather causing different
expansion in the components?

I remain suspicious that Minimed might be reducing the lubricant to a
bare minimum to force us not to reuse them, but I have no proof of this.
Bear in mind MM make most of their profits from the sale of infusion
sets and syringes, rather than the pumps themselves. Or have they
reduced the quality control?

What do other people do when the ND alarm goes off at 4am? I find I'm in
no mood to respond properly when being woking at that hour. I tend to
stop the pump, check my bg, give myself perhaps 3 units of Regular by
needle and go straight back to sleep. I wait till morning to investigate
everything properly. So far this non-standard strategy has served me
very well. I like to keep Regular rather than Humalog for emergencies
like this, because of its longer gentler action.

mailto:email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted