Re: [IP] Cause of diabetes

>Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 21:13:52 -0700
>From: Sam Skopp <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IP] Cause of diabetes
>At 08:39 PM 07/25/1998  email @ redacted wrote:
>>          I agree. It's a fascinating study; however it would require a
lot of
>>research to prove it. There are too many factors with this disease to tie
>>down to one specific factor. But a simple note - my family orginates from
>>England, Scotland, and Wales too.  My  mother's family line has all of
>>autoimmune disorders.  But this has only been a recient introduction. My
>>father who is into genelogy has researched some of our family lines to
>>1000 AD's.  The study is fascinating. Esp. death records. You really get
>>good picture of your family's medical history.  ~DD
>I wonder how much your place of origin really matters with diabetes. Most
>of my family originates from Eastern Europe. I also know there are a
>numbers of African-Americans that are diabetic too. So, the genetic factors
>for diabetes seem to be spread out pretty far. I suspect that the
>blonde/blue-eyed factor may not be too reliable.

The blonde and blue-eyed factor doesn't work for Native American Indians or
for Indians from India. Diabetes is unusually high for Native Americans,
although it's usually Type II. There are also quite a few diabetics in
India. The number of blue-eyed blondes in either group is rather small,
or as my old math prof used to say "So close to zero as to be indistinguisible
from zero".

It could be that in certain western European peoples, the blonde, blue-eyed (BBE)
trait occurs frequently with the tendency toward diabetes. Other ethnic groups
could have similar groupings like detached earlobes or something.

Now all we need is to write up a research grant request and we could probably
get some big bucks from the government to study the issue <vbg>.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted