Re: [IP] Bg rise in a.m....

>> Here's a question...
>> I wake up with a bg around 70 to 120.  I faithfully eat my Lender's
>> cinnamon swirl bagel 38 carbs and drink a cup of milk = 12 carbs.  I
>> bolus my 5 units (1:10 carb ratio).  Before lunch check I am usually 250
>> or higher?!?!?!?  If I'm too low waking up I am rebounding, I know, BUT
>> even if I am normal I go way too high!!!  What could it be?!?  Do I need
>> a different carb. ratio for breakfast?  I DO have Pumping Insulin and
>> plan on reading it SOON!!  Any ideas for me now though?!?  -Tonya D.
>> P.S. Can dawn phenom. happen around 11:00?!?  That's when I get up!  :-)

For me, whether fasting, high or low or having a "normal" day; the "dawn
phenomenon" attacks bwteen 7:00 am and 11:00 am.  This has been the case
for 25 years now.  It is not a rebound in my case.

For whatever reason, some of us need a significantly larger amount of basal
in the 7:00 - 12:00 noon period.  For me on MDI, my basal insulin, 12 units
of ULX2is more than adequate for 19 hours of the day but the typical
fasting am (w/o injections of H) for me is as follows:

2:00 am - 7:00 am 	5 mmol/l
8:00 am			8 mmol/l
9:00 am			13 mmol/l
10:00 am		17 mmol/l
11:00 am		20 mmol/l

hence, you are not alone.  If I had a pump; I'd just go ahead and increase
the basal for that period of time by .2 units per hour every few days until
I got an acceptable range for this time of day.  Then just bolus for the am
meal per carb counting.

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!

Check out:  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4750/intro.htm  and go