Re: [IP] Bg rise in a.m....

At 10:41 PM 07/25/1998  Joseph Diffee wrote:
>Here's a question...
>I wake up with a bg around 70 to 120.  I faithfully eat my Lender's
>cinnamon swirl bagel 38 carbs and drink a cup of milk = 12 carbs.  I
>bolus my 5 units (1:10 carb ratio).  Before lunch check I am usually 250
>or higher?!?!?!?  If I'm too low waking up I am rebounding, I know, BUT
>even if I am normal I go way too high!!!  What could it be?!?  Do I need
>a different carb. ratio for breakfast?  I DO have Pumping Insulin and
>plan on reading it SOON!!  Any ideas for me now though?!?  -Tonya D.
>P.S. Can dawn phenom. happen around 11:00?!?  That's when I get up!  :-)

What kind of insulin do you use? If you use H, what is your BG 90 minutes
to 2 hours after you eat? (If you use R, it would be an hour or so later).
If it is very high within that time period then you need to use more
insulin per carb for breakfast, than for other meals. If your BGs are
reasonable within that time, but too high just before lunch, then your
morning basal needs to be adjusted upwards.

I have to use both a higher basal and and more insulin per carb in the am
than I do in the afternoon. Apparently morning insulin resistance is not

(Resistance is futile, you will be insulinated)

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted