Re: [IP] BG Testing Question

In a message dated 7/25/98 3:24:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<<  2 or 3 hours after you first start eating or after you
 finish?  Please tell me why also.  In all my years of Diabetes, I have
 never had this one explained.  >>
Sue...start timing when you start eating.  All of this relates to the normal
amount of time it takes your digestive system to process the food from entry
into the system ( mouth) to absorption into the blood stream.  The maximum
absorption time is about two hours.  The more fat in the meal, the slower the
absorption time.  Carbohydrate absorption begins in the mouth if the food is
of a simple carbohydrate nature, ie, saltine crackers, sugar, glucose.  You
can get more info on this from a nutrition reference or a basic physiology
reference. I hope this is helpful.
Barbara B.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted