Re: [IP] Public Display of DM

I once did a speach in front of my classmates about diabetes when I was
in college.  Good ole speach 101 (required for all students).

I started out my speach with this phrase....

"What do myself, and some name of a famous athlete, some name of a
famous movie star, and some name a really famous smart person have in
common?" (I can't remember all of the "famous" names I used).

Not one student in the class could guess the answer to my perplexing
question.

I popped out a syringe (in front of everybody), filled it and took the
shot. (A few of the students turned green and my speach teacher's eyes
popped out of his noggin.)  THEN I continued my speach...."we're all
diabetics."

I put up a few diagrams, charts, etc. and explained what diabetes was,
how to care for it, what it involves, etc... etc....

At the end of my speach, I asked if there were any questions.  Almost
every student in the class raised their hand.  I filled up the entire
class period answering questions.

I got an A on my speach. (And in the class).

This is all from a person who never took a shot in a public place or
told hardly anyone she was diabetic.

I guess I sort of look back on it now as my formal "coming out of the
closet speach."  This is who I am, this is what I have to do to stay
alive.  Like it or lump it.

Becky D.

--
Becky Draper