Re: [IP] Advice Needed.....

> Should I attempt pumping insulin myself using the hourly basal rates
> suggested in Walsh's book "Pumping Insulin"?  This is based on body
> weight and I can adjust it where necessary with lots of testing.  Should
> I proceed or wait several more months to see the endo?

You can start pumping anytime with saline solution, and you should so
you have some practice.

You have to make your own decision about pumping with insulin.

With respect to basal rates, measure them. It is a bit of a hassle,
but you can do it if you switch to straight regular and get the long
acting insulins out of your system. This will REQUIRE that you take a
shot of insulin in the middle of the night, half way between your
bedtime shot and your morning shot. You need some regular
insulin "in" every four hour or so at a minimum. Follow the
procedures for testing basal rates in Pumping Insulin or on the
website. I recommend that you read both. Collect the data over a long
period of time, don't try to do it all at once, the constant waking
will actually foul up the data collection. Adjust your basal insulin
taken by shot to get a bg profile as flat as possible and try using
the prediction tool on the website.

Once this is accomplished, switching to the pump with
Regular/Velosulin should be easy with relatively small adjustments of
basal rate.

If you elect to do this, AND I would discuss it with your doc (after
you collect the data and prove what a smart pumper you are), again
stabilize your basal rates on the pump with a new basal profile.

Switching to Humalog is again fairly easy. Mostly it involves moving
the time of basal change to 'later' since Humalog acts faster and
must be put in later to produce the same effect as regular. Again, it
is necessary to re-check your basal profile if you elect to do this.

Second option, contact the pump company and get the names of pump
trainers in your area. Insurance may pay for this as well. Minimed
provided a couple of sessions for Lily as part of the cost of pump

You may wish to do both things.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted