Re: [IP] Why I like my pump (and don't love it)

    Good comparison...for another comparable viewpoint, check out CamelsRFun's
website KidsRPumping..There's an excellent statement from a ped. endo.
regarding kids on pumps in which he/she(?) compares using a pump vs. MDI to
using a car vs. bike-riding
     Better yet...I'll just cut & paste it here, but here's the link if anyone
cares to read the 25 stories about pumping kids...
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/camelsRFun/index.html">CamelsRFun's Home Page

A Pediatric Endocrinologist Comments:

I'm a pedatric endocrinologist. I have seen more consistent positive results
from pumping Humalog that any other single change that I know of.   For me, I
think putting Humalog in an insulin pump is the best advice I've been able to
give since I finished my training in 1983. I think I'm treating about 85
pumpers now.  The children on the pump and their parents are almost always
amazed at how well it works. Kids who have high blood sugars pour those
calories out in the urine. Their brains know the calories are leaving the body
and wants to replace them, so the kids are hungry all the time. So they eat.
The blood sugars then stay high. It's like a mosquito bite...the more you
scratch it, the more it itches. When the blood sugars are held in check for a
period of time, possible with pumping Humalog, the brain wises up and the
hunger disappears. When you're not hungry all the time, you feel better. I
used to only use pumps in children who were getting sick all the time. I've
changed my mind about that.

Lots of kids look at their blood sugars like grades. When they see a high one,
they feel like they just got a D on a math test. Blood sugars, or hemoglobin
A1c levels for that matter, aren't grades, they're more like numbers on a
speedometer. Children, particularly young teenagers, hate to see high blood
sugars...so they don't like to test them. Their high blood sugars are, in and
of themselves, a disincentive to checking them. When they are pumping Humalog,
they're likely to see target blood sugars when they test, and my experience is
that I see them checking more. You check more, you make appropriate changes
more and your control is better. For this reason, I think that the pump should
be considered even in kids who refuse to test their blood sugars. It
frequently breaks the cycle of pain. Me, I'm a believer.

The pump takes a high level of motivation. I liken the difference between the
pump and shots to a car and a bicycle. The former is vastly superior to the
other, but the potential for danger is also greater. I have had to take some
kids off the pump who won't check their blood sugars, change their sites
appropriately, or won't follow the rules of the road. Drivers usually cause
accidents, I say, not the cars they're driving. If the people running the pump
aren't responsible enough to stay safe, it's better their "license" is
suspended for awhile. It isn't for everybody.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted