Re: [IP] RE: Inplantable Pump

As I commented before, I would be very curious if any of these success
cases were accomplished in animals with an autoimmune response.  I'm all
for them getting it to work, but I think they are basically trying to
beat the bodies immune system to do it. (a case of 'i know more than
you')  Beating our immune systems when they decide they don't like
something... well to my knowledge there has really only been limited
success. (anti rejection meds for transplants, which are hardly elegant)
Every now and again nature comes up with something, and we manage to --
with immune system help -- beat it. (polio, measles mumps rebella etc)
current viri -- hiv ... but its rare that we succed the other way around.

If they figure out a way to keep the body from walling off the
transplanted ilets, i'll be extrondinarily happy -- as well as surprised.

The most recent successes that i heard of, came from transplanting fetal
pig ilet cells  into ... i believe rats, that had had their pancreases
surgically removed.  (not killed by autoimmune response)  They kept them
diabetic free for something like 2+ years. (26 28 months) ... thats
promising -- but still dosen't deal with the other problem.

If anyone knows of resarch done on auto immune animals (rats dogs
humans...) w/ regard to ilet transplants, i'd like to hear about it.