Re: [IP] Cause of diabetes/cancer?

> << Not true. We're talking about insulin dependent diabetes. A recently
>  published paper (BMJ 1997 Sep 20;315(7110):713-717) showed that in the
>  Oxford region of England, the number of under 5's getting IDDM rose by
>  11% per year for the last 11 years. That's a 3-fold increase. Whether
>  these are children who would have got it in 20's and 30's instead, and
>  are now getting it earlier, is not clear, but the suggestion is that
>  that's not the case. In the 5-9 age group, it rose by 4% per year, and
>  in the 10-14 by 1% per year. Something's causing this, and they don't
>  know what. >>
> What is causing it is their diabetic parents or grandparents aren't dying.
> They are living and reproducing and passing on the genes.
> <<We're not talking gene change. A proportion of the population has a
> susceptibility, and more and more of this group are having the diabetes
> "switched on" by the various and usually unknown factors.>>
> The Susceptibility comes from the genes that were passed of from the diabetic
> relatives that didn't die.

I would like to cautiously disagree with you. I say cautiously, because
what you say makes a lot of sense. But in this particular bit of
research I think they statistically compared the increase in diabetic
children with the increase in diabetics having children or
grandchildren, and it didn't explain the whole increase. So the
suggestion was that there was some other factor now involved.

mailto:email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted