[IP] Successful Sil Skewer! & Q

Hi, All--

I am really proud of myself.  I inserted a Silouhette this mornin with
practically no pain, and believe I have got it in correctly.

You may recall my dismay when I tried the first time.  Lots of pain and had
to yank the set.  Since I am pretty pain-tolerant, I figured the problem
was probably with my technique.  I was right.

With the help of this list, however (esp. Michael--thank you!), I finally
got up the nerve to try again.  I kind of decided on the spur of the
moment, and did not have any EMLA cream.  Didn't even bother with an
ice-cube.  (Like I said, I'm pretty pain tolerant; when I have a blood
draw, I can watch the needle being inserted into my arm w/o flinching.)  No
problem.  I put it in at a shallow angle, and didn't insert all the way.  I
bolused .8 to fill the cannula, as I was at 140 this morning.

Question: I need to place a supply order and am trying to decide how many
Sils to get.  I have absorption problems in many areas of my abdomen (esp.
the sides) due to many years of MDI there.  Does anyone have the experience
of getting better absorption with Sils than with Sofs in areas that have a
history of absorption problems?  It occurs to me that the Sils, because
they are inserted at a shallow angle, are actually going into a different
portion of the subQ than the straight-in Sofs, which probably end up at
about the same depth as the needles I used when on MDI.  Perhaps this could
be another benefit of the Sils.

If I get good absorption, I think I will be sold on the Sils.  I like not
having to contend with that QR thing.  And the skin trauma actually seems
*less* than with Sofs because there is no "thunk."  I know, because it's
only been 15 minutes since insertion and already the itching that I
associate with that act has subsided.  Just to be on the safe side, because
I didn't know how my sensitive skin would react to the Sil's adhesive, I
did go through an IV 3000 with a little window cut in it.

Okay, gotta get ready for work.  Hoping to see some responses on this
tonight!  Thanks.

--Laurel (Type 1 for 23 years; MM 507 since 5/15/98; probable new convert
to Sils!)

----------
> From: Sue W <email @ redacted>
> To: Insulin Pumpers Digest <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Good Endo (Was Re: [IP] DKA)
> Date: Wednesday, July 22, 1998 11:26 PM

Hi Michael,

Could you please clone Lily's Endo and send him to Utah?  He is
desperately needed here.  <vbg>

<< I have to give Lily's endo credit for actually asking us questions
about the treatment plan we use so he can apply it to his other pump
patients. He is now using a number of things learned on this list
that he was previously not aware of. He's a great guy and very
professional. The information truly flows in both directions.Three
cheers, we've got a good one!
Michael
email @ redacted >>

--