Re: [IP] Depression

I think it was about March, 1998 that Diabetes Forecast had an article
about Diabetes and Depression.  They were able to quote statistics
showing a higher percentage of Depression in Diabetics than in the
general population.

I have to agree with Michael about the correlation of high BG with
Depression.  I have suffered from Depression for several years.  Most of
the time I am able to keep my Depression under control by taking
medications regularly for it.  However, when my BG gets too high or too
low, I have noticed that I have a tendency to get more depressed than
usual.  This may also be a YMMV problem.

... Just my opinion!

<< Some other thoughts here, possibly a slight disagreement with your
on cause / effect. I'm following a very interesting "long history"
on another list concerning depression and diabetes. The consensus seems
be that diabetes is frequently associated with depression, but there is
clear correlation between high BGs and depression itself. There are many
diabetics, Type I and Type II, who suffer from depression, even though
their BGs are very good control. The incidence of depression seems to be
about the same among both groups.

Two articles in diabetes related publications may be worth reading. The
Summer 1997 issue of JDF Countdown magazine has an article on
and Diabetes". The May / June 1998 issue of Diabetes Self Management
magazine has an article titled "Antidepressants - How NOT To Live With

Each of these articles clearly indicate that there is no clear consensus
why depression seems more common in patients with diabetes. They each
indicate that there is no clear "cause / effect" relationship between BG
levels and the onset of depression. There are other factors cited,
including biological "pre disposition" (parent has suffered from
depression, for example).

At least one of the articles *does* indicate that for those who are
to depression, due to biological or other factors, prior problems with
depression, etc., the onset of complications may cause bouts of
to resurface. In these instances, it would seem that maintaining good BG
levels would help avoid recurrences of prior incidences. *BUT* the high
themselves apparently cannot be shown to be a causative factor in the

Bob Burnett >>

		For a healthy heart ...
		Give your Faith a workout!

E-Mail - mailto:email @ redacted