[IP] Site infections

I've been pumping for a little over two years now, and have not experienced a site infection. No brag, just fact. One thing which has guided me so far (and will continue to guide me) is the following information I read in the manual which MiniMed supplied with my original pump. "The Insulin Pump Therapy Book - Insights From the Experts" has some good general guidelines for avoiding site infections. The one which caught my eye was the reference to bacteria which is often found in nasal passages. This information is from a report issued by the Mason Clinic (I don't have the specific citation). I quote:

"More than half of the individuals with one skin infection had a second episode, and most infections appeared as cellulitis rather than abscesses. In the few abscesses that appeared, cultures revealed Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. Those individuals with infected infusion sites were more likely to be nasal carriers of S. aureus than were pump users without infected sites."

My rule of thumb: If I touch my nose, sneeze or sniffle at any time just prior to, or during a site change, I wash my hands with disinfectant soap and hot water. I don't touch the set, site, cartridge (or reservoir for MiniMed users), or pump until I've "re sanitized". I use this same rule when disconnecting and re connecting my set for any reason.

Septic shock or toxic shock is not pretty. I wouldn't risk it for anything.

The other quotation which guides me is this:

"Good judgment comes from experience; and experience, well, that comes from bad judgement" (Anon)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted