> From: Frank W. Tegethoff, jr. <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Camp Caution
> Date: Wednesday, July 22, 1998 5:11 PM

Hi Katie,
You really make a good point about habits.  When I get young bakers in for
an externship I always try to stress that ' habits are hard to break' so
you may as well try to make them 'good' ones.  It doesn't always work but
it keeps the shop a positive place.
Take care,
Frank

----------

> << I never quite understood these campers'
>  motivations and just dismissed them as "stupid".  I might be off the
mark
>  here, but I think any child who is adequately "educated concerning
diabetes"
>  by parent or dr. will not get involved in such activities. >>
>
> Ellen,
> I do think you're off the mark. I was neither "stupid" nor uneducated.
Kids
> have more info about diabetes today as we do. But if you believe every
parent
> that says "my boy would never do that" you've got you're head in the
sand.

> Are you trying to tell me that every kid that is educated about
periodontal
> disease brushes their teeth twice daily and flosses regularly? Most
adults
> don't do that.
>
> Randall wrote that, "The problem begins when some "professionals" punish
their
> patients
> for "non-compliance" when their numbers aren't on target. If your numbers
> don't fall on target, then you've been a bad, bad, bad, bad person."
>
> Although what Randall wrote definitely happens. I don't think that is the
case
> for all kids. For many kids, it's not trying to please parents, doctors
or
> whomever but rather that testing, counting carbs is a chore just like
brushing
> your teeth. Kids will occassionally wet the brush instead of actually
> brushing.
>
> People learn from peers. Both the good and the "bad". I've learned some
"bad"
> habits (Please, note the quotes.) from this list. I used a new lancet
every
> time I tested. But when I learned that others were using the same lancet.
> decided to try what my doctor educated me not to do.
>
> For some people, changing lancets may be a money issue but for many on
> insurance plans etc... changing the lancet is a minor cost but a major
hassel.
> It's not trying to avoid the "bad" label rather it's taking short cuts on
an
> unwanted chore.
>
> Kids are going to see good and bad practises at camp. In my opinion, it
is a
> good idea to talk to them about both. There will be kids around them that
> don't do everything they should (maybe carb counting is lax) and still
appear
> healthy.
>
> And I repeat, camp was a wonderful time for me. It was great to see other
kids
> that dealt with the same issues I did and adults who understood diabetes.
And

to the e-mail address: email @ redacted