To: email @ redacted
From: email @ redacted on 22, Jul 1998 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [IP] Site Lump
RFC Header:Received: by omnibus.ce.psu.edu with SMTP;22 Jul 1998 13:27:23
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:26:12 -0400
From: email @ redacted (Dan Trump)
To: email @ redacted
Sender: email @ redacted
>Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:49:55 EDT
>From: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IP] Site Lump
>In a message dated 7/21/98 8:25:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted
><<  I would guess that our bodies are constantly fighting small
> bacterial invasions and that when they loose we get what they call an
> Seems like Barb might have real medical info here? >>
>Here goes....These site infections can develop into major abcesses that if
>allowed to get out of hand, can lead to major systemic septic infections.
>(Total body infection in the blood stream)  As a diabetic, you have to be
>especially vigilant.  Those infection fighting white blood cells cannot fight
>infection when BG is over 160-200 range (YMMV)  Depending on the organism,
>especially some types of bacteria, glucose and insulin is used by those
>critters for their own growth, stealing your insulin and keeping your BG up!
>So be careful with cleaning sites and be careful about how long you keep one
>in place.  As a professional, I am obligated to advise my patients to change
>sites every 2-3 days, depending on infusion device and insulin used. (Keeps
>malpractice insurance people happy!)  I do, however, know that not all people
>choose to follow this advice.  Consider this...how much is a new set and new
>site worth to you compared to the cost of a visit to the MD and the
>prescription?...or the cost of a hospital admission for a major infection
>treatment.  Septic shock is not a pleasant experience.  My apologies if this
>upsets anyone.
>Barbara B.

As a diabetic who's been through a "major systemic septic infection", I would
strongly endorse Barb's cautions. It wasn't a site infection that got me (it
was pre-pump) rather it was a urinary tract infection. The net result was nine
days in the hospital including three days in intesive care and two days that
I don't even remember. There were minimal signs of onset. I had high (300 -
bgs the day before I was taken to the hospital, but also had a low (50) hours
before. My doctor later told me he didn't think I was going to live through
I'm still spooked anytime my bg's get high unaccountably. Trust me, you DON'T
want to go there.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted