[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V2 #433

     The argument over three, four, five, six and more days on the same set
     is kind of suprising to me.
     It seems to me that the problem of infection is introduced when
     something is inserted into the body.  This being the case, only when
     one changes sets or changes the feeding tube can any problem occur (as
     long as the site is CLEAN and SEALED and taped very well).
     After years and years of testing everything from straight stainless
     catheters, stainless with 'wings', IV teflons (prior to introduction
     of special teflons for the pump as we now enjoy), and a variety of
     soft-set, tender and other concoctions I am thoroughly convinced that
     a] milage WILL vary
     b] everyone IS different
     c] What he sees may NOT be what you will get
     d] all tapes are bad news in winter and jokes in the summer
     e] After two days my body just doesn't care how much insulin I pump
        into that catheter, it stops paying attention to it
     f] If Humalog at U30 .. U50 was available I would be using it in the
        pump to increase number of basal hits/hour.
     Oh well....
     Having said all this, the worst i've ever had was a soft-ball size
     something under the skin at the site of a stainless catheter (which
     had been in about two + days).  At that point I decided to
     experimentally try teflon IV catheters with doctors 'quiet' advice (I
     didn't tell you to do this but this is what will work if you want to
     continue on the pump which is the only thing that has seemed to work
     anywhere close to this well for you)....
     Yerachmiel Altman
       speaking from the ancient days of diluting insulin to get the basal
     rate set.  (any new pumpers who complain about complexity of the
     device should PLEASE speak to me.  I am I am I am going to write up a
     'my first three years pumping' article....I'm just afraid of all the
     ghosts which will revisit me from those years past....Makes clinitest
     look like phun!).

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted