Re: [IP] RE: "Dark Ages" revisited

Kasey wrote:
> I've often wondered how my great-grandfather lived to be 72 and yet be
> Type I diabetic before insulin was discovered.  He was diagnosed
> sometime around the turn of the century and died in 1970.  So he was a
> toddler when diagnosed.  I know insulin came along when he was older,
> but no one in my family remembers much about how he got by before that
> except that he was on an extremely limited and strict diet.  Does anyone
> else know how some diabetics managed to survive before insulin?

In some people, the diabetes doesn't just "start" overnight, but the
insulin producing cells slowly die off over a period of years. It's only
when production stops completely that you go into DKA and if untreated
die fairly quickly. Often it's not till the DKA stage that they are
diagnosed. Luckily your great-grandfather he was caught early, and his
insulin requirements were kept to a minimum by putting him on starvation
rations! I suppose he was blessed with a very long honeymoon period.

Of course, if he hadn't survived, you wouldn't be here to tell us the
tale...

John
--
mailto:email @ redacted