Re: [IP] Site Lump

wm:
Also:

I must add that I am relatively well controlled. (But I think based on all
the mail I read and how particular others are that maybe I should not be so
laid back about my life long situation.

Paula
----------
> From: email @ redacted
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Site Lump
> Date: Wednesday, July 22, 1998 10:31 AM

I wonder if infections are a real problem in well controlled pumpers.
There is so much over emphasis on cleanliness, but most of us used to reuse
syringes, reuse lancets, inject through clothing, etc. and never have had
problems.  How many on this list have ever had a real full blown site
infection since going on the pump that your own immune system did not
spontaneously clear up?
-wm

<<<<<<<<<<<From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Site Lump

In a message dated 7/21/98 8:25:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted
writes:

<<  I would guess that our bodies are constantly fighting small
 bacterial invasions and that when they loose we get what they call an
infection.

 Seems like Barb might have real medical info here? >>
Here goes....These site infections can develop into major abcesses that if
allowed to get out of hand, can lead to major systemic septic infections.
(Total body infection in the blood stream)  As a diabetic, you have to be
especially vigilant.  Those infection fighting white blood cells cannot
fight
infection when BG is over 160-200 range (YMMV)  Depending on the organism,
especially some types of bacteria, glucose and insulin is used by those
little
critters for their own growth, stealing your insulin and keeping your BG
up!
So be careful with cleaning sites and be careful about how long you keep
one
in place.  As a professional, I am obligated to advise my patients to
change
sites every 2-3 days, depending on infusion device and insulin used. (Keeps
my
malpractice insurance people happy!)  I do, however, know that not all
people
choose to follow this advice.  Consider this...how much is a new set and
new
site worth to you compared to the cost of a visit to the MD and the
antibiotic
prescription?...or the cost of a hospital admission for a major infection
treatment.  Septic shock is not a pleasant experience.  My apologies if
this
upsets anyone.

Barbara B.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wayne Mitzner