Re: [IP] Site Lump

I left the site in for an extra day to see what would happen, been
changing religiously after no more than 72 hours.  Well 2/3 of the way
through the 4th day, I noticed when I bent down, or twisted, I was
feeling the site, not the adhesive pulling on the skin, but the needle
site.  A quick look at my belly through the clear plastic of the tender,
low and behold, it was *real* red.  I went strainght home (was leaving
work at this point) and changed.  Upon pulling the site out, a bit of
fluid ozzed out, I whiped with alchohol, a looked it over...didn't look
to bad, didn't really hurt much now that the needle was  out... figured I
let it sit a day.  It cleared up. on its own, but I hate to think what
might have happened had I left it in for oh... the rest of the day and
through the night.  It could have been real bad.  If bactieria had gotten
going in there, I would have had a problem, luckily, I didn't.

I doing real well on control right now...i don't think it has too much to
do with it.  Cause its about leaving something in you for a while, not
like a needle , its in, its out.  and introduced bacteria, will likely
not have a safe place to 'hide' , unlike an irritated infusion site.

my .02

> I wonder if infections are a real problem in well controlled pumpers.
> There is so much over emphasis on cleanliness, but most of us used to reuse
> syringes, reuse lancets, inject through clothing, etc. and never have had
> problems.  How many on this list have ever had a real full blown site
> infection since going on the pump that your own immune system did not
> spontaneously clear up?
> -wm
> <<<<<<<<<<<From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Site Lump
> In a message dated 7/21/98 8:25:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted
> writes:
> <<  I would guess that our bodies are constantly fighting small
>  bacterial invasions and that when they loose we get what they call an
> infection.
>  Seems like Barb might have real medical info here? >>
> Here goes....These site infections can develop into major abcesses that if
> allowed to get out of hand, can lead to major systemic septic infections.
> (Total body infection in the blood stream)  As a diabetic, you have to be
> especially vigilant.  Those infection fighting white blood cells cannot fight
> infection when BG is over 160-200 range (YMMV)  Depending on the organism,
> especially some types of bacteria, glucose and insulin is used by those little
> critters for their own growth, stealing your insulin and keeping your BG up!
> So be careful with cleaning sites and be careful about how long you keep one
> in place.  As a professional, I am obligated to advise my patients to change
> sites every 2-3 days, depending on infusion device and insulin used. (Keeps my
> malpractice insurance people happy!)  I do, however, know that not all people
> choose to follow this advice.  Consider this...how much is a new set and new
> site worth to you compared to the cost of a visit to the MD and the antibiotic
> prescription?...or the cost of a hospital admission for a major infection
> treatment.  Septic shock is not a pleasant experience.  My apologies if this
> upsets anyone.
> Barbara B.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> _____________
> Wayne Mitzner
> Department of Environmental Health Sciences
> The Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health
> 615 N. Wolfe St.
> Baltimore, MD 21205
> Tel. 410 614 5446
> Fax 410 955 0299
> send the next two lines in a message
> info
> end
> to the e-mail address: email @ redacted

James Lyons
University of Pennsylvania School of Engineering and Applied Science
Computer Science Engineering Class of 2000

Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is the best defense