Re: [IP] When to Start a child on pump

I agree that the school environment definitely needs to be considered.
We were on the verge of home-schooling Kayla because the public schools
here suck, and none of the private schools wanted to give her lunch
bolus.  Kayla could give it, she just can't calculate it yet (she's only
5).  Then we found a school where the headmaster is diabetic.  They have
no problem with Kayla being in the school and doing whatever it takes to
help her/us out.

As far as when to start a child on the pump, it takes a big time
committment from parents when the child is young and the parent has to
do all the work.  We started Kayla on the pump because of all the
problems she was having that MDI couldn't correct.  If she had been
doing well on MDI we would have waited a few years.

Kasey