Re: [IP] bg's after bolusing (was eating out)

>Hopefully someone can help me with this.  Kayla's bg is NEVER less than
>180 one hour after eating.  (She uses Humalog, so by Michael's post, she
>should be about where she was before eating - doesn't happen.)  However,
>within four hours she is back in the normal range.  But she's usually in
>the 200's one hour after eating and slowly comes back down over the next
>three hours.  If I compensated at one hour with more insulin, or even if
>I gave a bigger carb bolus, she'd be going low four hours later.  I
>can't seem to grasp "the big picture" of what is going on here.  Any

Hi Kasey!

You may want to give Kayla her bolus a little earlier.  It sounds to me
like the carbs are peaking before the insulin.  Kayla may simply be a slow
absorber and needs a little more lead time on the insulin.

When I was using regular,  I needed to take my meal shot at least an hour
before eating in order for the carbs and insulin peaks to match.  With
humalog I still try to use about a 20 minute lead time.

Hope this helps

Karen Alasin
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted