Re: [IP] Low blood sugars

> If your son's blood sugars are going to 300-400 on one carb he is rebounding
> from the low not the carb. Even if he doesn't read that low you may be
> catching him on the way up from the liver dumping glucagon. I would re-
> evaluate when he goes low-is it at certain times fo the day? If so-lower your
> basals. If it is after a emal you may need to lower your bolus.
> Have you read PUMPING INSULIN by John Walsh?

Is your son using HUMALOG? The onset of a low can be quite rapid and
sometimes unpredictable from my limited experience with Lily. I
noted that many times we could never see the 'real' low. That is
her bg's would not fall below the mid 30';s and shee would still
rebound. If this is the case, you may wish to try an H/V mix.
Something about mixing, even in very small ratios of V seems to
moderate this 'invisible' effect. Over the last year, she has
only experienced a couple of instance of rebounding where there
was a bad screw-up. On straight H, this occured fairly often
without evidence of a solid low. Sometimes with bg's only of 50
or more. Hmmm.. this might remove the unpredictability for
your son although it will not significantly change the onset of a
really excessive bolus.

Talk to your doc about this if he is open to trying this kind of
therapy, otherwise perhaps the list members can provide some
additional insight.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted