Re: [IP] RE: "Dark Ages" revisited

Bob Burnett asked of Kasey had seen Glory Enough for All:

i had the pleasure of hearing Michael Bliss speak at a recent Branch CDA
general meeting.  His talk was fascinating and had most of the audience in
tears.  Michael is the Canadian author of several books on the discovery of
insulin and on Banting.

I am one Canadian who never misses the opportunity to wave the Canadian
flag when it comes to the discovery of insulin.

Paula

----------
> From: Bob Burnett <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] RE: "Dark Ages" revisited
> Date: Tuesday, July 21, 1998 10:08 PM

Kasey:

I don't know if you've ever had the chance to see the video titled "And
Glory Enough For All" (least that's how I remember the title). It's about
the research and testing which led to the discovery of insulin. I think
this was produced as one of the Hallmark "Hall of Fame" broadcasts?

Truly a remarkable tale. In the "early days", survival (if you want to call
it that) depended on *very* strict adherence to a diet that had no
flexibility. Every little morsel of food was weighed and calculated,
exercise did not seem to be part of the plan, and people had little hope
for a future beyond the next 15 years.

If you have a chance to see the film, it will give you some great insight
into how your great grandfather survived during that time. My hat's off to
him ;-)

Bob

mailto:email @ redacted

>I've often wondered how my great-grandfather lived to be 72 and yet be
>Type I diabetic before insulin was discovered.  He was diagnosed
>sometime around the turn of the century and died in 1970.  So he was a
>toddler when diagnosed.  I know insulin came along when he was older,
>but no one in my family remembers much about how he got by before that
>except that he was on an extremely limited and strict diet.  Does anyone
>else know how some diabetics managed to survive before insulin?
>
>Kasey

send the next two lines in a message
info
end