Re: [IP] Site Lump

In a message dated 7/21/98 8:25:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<<  I would guess that our bodies are constantly fighting small
 bacterial invasions and that when they loose we get what they call an
 Seems like Barb might have real medical info here? >>
Here goes....These site infections can develop into major abcesses that if
allowed to get out of hand, can lead to major systemic septic infections.
(Total body infection in the blood stream)  As a diabetic, you have to be
especially vigilant.  Those infection fighting white blood cells cannot fight
infection when BG is over 160-200 range (YMMV)  Depending on the organism,
especially some types of bacteria, glucose and insulin is used by those little
critters for their own growth, stealing your insulin and keeping your BG up!
So be careful with cleaning sites and be careful about how long you keep one
in place.  As a professional, I am obligated to advise my patients to change
sites every 2-3 days, depending on infusion device and insulin used. (Keeps my
malpractice insurance people happy!)  I do, however, know that not all people
choose to follow this advice.  Consider this...how much is a new set and new
site worth to you compared to the cost of a visit to the MD and the antibiotic
prescription?...or the cost of a hospital admission for a major infection
treatment.  Septic shock is not a pleasant experience.  My apologies if this
upsets anyone.

Barbara B.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted